Monthly Workshops

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Last of the Lemon Balm

I picked the last bit of lemon balm which survived well through and after the two frosts we had. This is one of my mainstays and every year it faithfully comes up and flourishes in most beds I prepare for it. I have always started my own plants from seed. I'll be drying it in my dehydrator for teas. Here is a compilation of information I shared in an article. The picture is of a bed in front of my studio and this was taken in 2007. I see that the Elderberry tree behind is very small. Now the Elder tree is about 8 feet tall. 



Lemon Balm
Lemon balm is an attractive herb with yellow or variegated leaves smelling strongly of lemons. It is a great addition to any garden since it is very attractive to bees. A tea made from the leaves is said to relieve tiredness, sooth headaches, and calm nerves.        
 
Culinary Uses                       
Use fresh leaves in salads and as a garnish for fish and other dishes. When candied, the leaves make attractive cake decorations. Chopped leaves can be added to fish and chicken dishes and sprinkled over fresh vegetables. Add the leaves to cooked dishes in the last few minutes. They can also be added to summer drinks and fruit salads, and make a good substitute for lemon peel in recipes. Make refreshing pesto made the leaves, Olive Oil, parmesan cheese and pumpkins seeds. Serve on crackers or add to cold pasta for a summer salad.                                      
Medicinal Use                   
Lemon balm is traditionally used to restore nerves. It helps relieve anxiety attacks, palpitations with nausea, mild insomnia and phobias. It combines well with peppermint to stimulate circulation, and can also be used for colds and flu.                

Other Uses        
An infusion of leaves makes a refreshing skin toner and can be used in rinse water for clothes. A stronger infusion makes a good rinse for oily hair. Use as a facial steam for dry skin. Dried leaves add a lemony scent to Potpourris.

1 comment:

  1. So now that you joined Cole's 100 day challenge you'll have to post a post once in a while on here. That would be cool.
    I need some of your magic tinture, these allergies are going to kill me off. Wondering if it's past allergies now and into something else. Don't know. Just tired of it.
    Have a great night my friend. Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete